Blue Star Markers
The Blue Star Program honors all men and women that serve in the United States Armed Services. This program began with the planting of 8,000 Dogwood trees by the New Jersey Council of Garden Clubs in 1944 as a living memorial to veterans of World War II. In 1945, the National Council of State Garden Clubs (now NGC, Inc.) adopted this program and began a Blue Star Highway system that covers thousands of miles across the Continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. Blue Star Memorial Highway Markers were placed along the way. The Blue Star was adopted because it had become an icon in World War II and was seen on flags and banners in homes for sons and daughters away at war as well as in churches and businesses.
The Dallas Council of Garden Clubs and member clubs have installed a number of Blue Star Markers in Dallas County and surrounding counties.
Here is a list and photos of those markers: By sponsoring club:
Brookhaven Garden Club sponsored a Blue Star Marker in Farmers Branch that was dedicated on 11/11/14.
Dallas Council of Garden Clubs sponsored a Blue Star Marker at the Texas Discovery Gardens that was dedicated on 11/6/2017.
Designers and Diggers Garden Club sponsored a Blue Star Marker at the Boone Pickens Hospice and Palliative Care Center located in Dallas on 10/13/17.
District X has sponsored three Blue Star Markers. They include a marker at Texas Garden Club headquarters dedicated 4/25/06, Xeric Garden Forney dedicated 4/9/08 and The VA Medical Center in Dallas on in 2011.
The Forney Garden Club sponsored a Blue Star Marker at the Mike Spellman Amphitheater .
Frisco Garden Club sponsored a Blue Star Marker located at the Frisco Commons City Park dedicated on 5/30/10.
The Oak Cliff Garden Forum sponsored a Blue Star Marker located at the Dallas/Ft. Worth National Cemetery in Dallas. This marker was dedicated on 10/28/14.
The Ovilla Garden Club rededicated and refurbished a Blue Star Marker that is located at Heritage Park in Ovilla at the intersection of W. Main and FM664 on 5/5/10.
The Sunnyvale Garden Club sponsored a Blue Star Marker at the Town Hall Sunnyvale dedicated on 9/22/10.
The Terrell Garden Club sponsored a Blue Star Marker at the Terrell Veterans Memorial Park. This marker was dedicated on 10/22/16.